The juice components, also known as secondary plant matter, are associated with suspended solids that are filtered out into clear apple juice. They make it less transparent than clear apple juice and give unfiltered apple juice its distinctive and rather strong aroma.
suspensions are tiny residual particles of peel and pulp that contain secondary plant matter.
These secondary plant substances can also strengthen the intestinal defense mechanisms and inhibit the release of harmful oxygen compounds. Animal studies have shown that they can prevent the development of precancerous lesions in the intestine. Anyone who regularly drinks apple juice as part of a balanced diet can contribute to gut health. However, apple juice does not relieve existing inflammation in the gut.
Information: While naturally cloudy apple juice is healthier than clear, it’s not completely natural either. Enzymes are often added to prevent the pulp from settling at the bottom of the bottle.
Make your own apple juice
Anyone who has bought enough apples, owns an apple tree, or is allowed to take apples from an orchard can make their own apple juice. The sweetness and taste of the juice depends on the apple variety used.
For one liter of apple juice you will need:
- 2 kg of apples
- half a packet of preservative
- a knife
- cooking spoon
- A bottle
- Put the bottle in which you want to fill the juice in the oven at 140 degrees for about ten minutes. In this way the bottle is sterilized.
- Wash the apples thoroughly and remove the dark spots and snake bites with a knife. Discard any rotten apples and cut out the stems and cores.
- Place the apple pieces in a saucepan and add water until the fruit is covered. Boil everything on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and pour in the cooked apple mixture. Wring out the cloth well over the pot so that the apple juice is not lost.
- Add sugar or lemon juice as needed and simmer on low heat for another 20 minutes. As you do this, skim off the foam.
- Then mix the preservative and pour the juice into a sterile bottle, which you close tightly. If apple juice is kept cool, it will last up to a year.
Tip: You can also make apple juice with a juicer, such as a steam or cold juicer.
Apple juice: calories and ingredients
You can see the nutrients in apple juice in the table. Values refer to apple juice without added sugar and ascorbic acid. The nutritional values of Coca Cola are given for comparison.
|Nutrients per 100 milliliters||Apple juice||Coke|
|carbohydrates||11.3 g||10.83 g|
|sugar||9.62 g||10.83 g|
|proteins||0.1 g||0 g|
|fats||0.13 g||0 g|
|fiber||0.2 g||0 g|
|calcium||8 mg||0 mg|
As apple juice is a natural product and varieties vary, values may vary. In particular, the calcium content can vary.
Tip: If you dilute the apple juice with plenty of water and enjoy it as a splash, the characteristic apple taste is preserved, but less sugar is consumed.
Is apple juice suitable for a vegan diet?
Naturally cloudy apple juice is not clarified with gelatin and is therefore suitable for a vegan diet.
Cocktails with apple juice
If apple splash is too boring for you, you can spice up the fruit juice with a drop of alcohol and enjoy it as a cocktail.
- 2 cl of vodka
- some apple juice
- crushed ice
Half fill a whiskey glass with ice and pour vodka over it. Mix well and add apple juice.
If you want to enjoy apple juice without alcohol, you can mix a spicy apple-cucumber drink or a fruity kiwi and apple cocktail.