Enjoying the wonderful weather and grilling outside in the park or garden with friends and family – sounds like the perfect day for us. Spring and summer time is known to be barbecue time and we are already waiting for it. We all know that juicy steaks and sausages are a must when grilling. But fish lovers also get their money’s worth, because the fish also tastes great on the grill. In addition to salmon, trout is one of the most popular fish in Germany and is always a very special treat. Okay, but how long does a trout on the grill take and what temperature would be optimal? Prepare your grill, because in today’s article we will show you how to grill this perfect juicy trout!
How long does a trout take on the grill?
Juicy on the inside and pleasant and crisp on the top – that’s what barbecue trout should taste like. However, those with no experience are usually concerned about preparation. How long does a trout take on the grill? Unfortunately, there is no general answer to this question, and the grilling time depends on the thickness of the fish and, of course, the temperature. The ideal temperature is around 160-180 degrees to prevent the fish from burning and getting caught on the grill.
But here’s a little guide: a whole trout, about 4 inches thick, takes 10 to 15 minutes to grill. However, the fish fillets are ready in about 7-8 minutes. Do you want to grill barbel perfectly? You can then use the thermometer to measure the internal temperature at the thickest point. If the temperature is around 65 degrees, you have done everything right. If all the protein leaks from the meat, you have overcooked the fish.
Grilling trout on a charcoal grill: it’s that easy!
Be it finely smoked, stuffed or wrapped in aluminum foil – the possibilities of grilling trout are endless and the fish always tastes perfect. However, preparation can go awry, especially for newcomers. If the trout stay on the grill for too long or the temperature is not optimal, even the freshest fish will become completely inedible. After all, we don’t want that, do we? To alleviate the uncertainty, we will explain below how to best grill trout.
- For maximum enjoyment, the fish should, of course, be fresh. The easiest way to identify fresh trout is by their red gills and clear eyes.
- Next, clean and weigh the trout (of course, you can buy ready-made trout to save time).
- Rinse the fish thoroughly under running water inside and out and dry with paper towels.
- Place the trout on the cutting board and brush the skin with olive oil so that the fish does not stick to the grill.
- Season inside and out with salt and pepper and sprinkle with a little lemon.
- If you want, put a pack of fresh herbs.
- There are now two ways to grill trout. You can place the fish directly on the rack or use so-called fish grills.
- Very important – if you want to grill the trout on the grill, lubricate it well with olive oil or separation spray. The advantage of fish tongs, on the other hand, is that the fish does not sink when turning and is therefore ideal for beginners.
- Grill, depending on the thickness and size of the fish, for 15-20 minutes on medium heat, turning halfway.
- Serve with your choice of side dishes and you’re done – it’s quick and easy to grill trout!
Can trout be grilled in aluminum foil?
Don’t have tongs and don’t want the fish to stick or scatter on the grill? No problem! In this case, you can simply grill the trout in aluminum foil! Aluminum foil is a great alternative, especially if you want to stuff the fish with fresh herbs or cook some vegetables at the same time. And that’s how you make the perfect trout grilled in aluminum foil:
- Rinse the napkin and dry.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. If desired, fill the trout with fresh herbs or lemon slices.
- Grease a large piece of aluminum foil with olive oil and place the fish in it.
- Gently press the aluminum foil into a sachet.
- Place the aluminum foil pack on the grill.
- Depending on the thickness of the fish, the grilling time is about 15-20 minutes.
- A little preparation tip: the trout do not dry out and remain juicy, make sure that the aluminum foil packages are tightly closed on all sides.
Grill trout on a gas grill
Have you treated yourself to a gas grill and want to know how to grill trout with it? In this case, you should pay attention to the right temperature for optimal enjoyment. And so you do it right:
- Heat the gas grill to 400 degrees on direct heat.
- Wash the trout and dry.
- Brush the fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Then place the fish on the grill and close the lid.
- After 10 minutes, check the bottom of the trout for beautiful grilling marks. If so, turn it on and grill for another 5-6 minutes on indirect heat with the lid closed.
Stuffed trout from the grill
After explaining how to grill trout, we have a delicious recipe for you that you should definitely try. Pleasant and crunchy, full of flavor and only 370 calories per serving – this stuffed trout is the perfect summer treat.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 4 trout, each 250-300 grams
- 200 grams of baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 40 grams of cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 60 grams of smoked ham, chopped into small pieces
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix spinach, onion, garlic, tomato, paprika and smoked ham in a bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the trout and dry.
- Fill with vegetable filling and brush the skin with the remaining olive oil.
- You can now grill trout in aluminum foil or use grill tongs.
- Alternatively, place the fish on the grill and grill for about 8-10 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness.
- Garnish with barbecue trout with a fresh salad or toppings of your choice and enjoy!