Vegan fish sauce consists of purely vegetable ingredients and tastes very aromatic. We show you a simple vegan recipe for Asian seasoning sauce.
Fish sauce is a traditional Southeast Asian condiment made from fermented fish. Fish sauce is an important part of many traditional dishes there, especially in Thai and Vietnamese cuisine. The intensely fragrant sauce gives the dishes their own character umami tastedescribed as meaty, salty or spicy.
But there are also plant foods that have an umami flavor. For example, soy sauce, shiitake mushrooms, miso paste or seaweed. Based on this, the taste of spicy fish sauce can also be imitated with purely vegetable ingredients. Because no-fish sauce is very salty, it will keep in the fridge for several weeks.
Make your own vegan fish sauce: recipe
Vegan fish sauce
- Preparation: about 10 minutes
- Cooking time / cooking time: about 25 minutes
- People: 0.3 liters
dried shiitake mushrooms
Tamari (or soy sauce)
Cut the nori leaves into rough strips and boil them together with dried shiitake mushrooms, salt and sugar in water.
Let the mixture simmer for 20-25 minutes, until reduced by about half.
Pour the mixture through a sieve to filter out the nori leaves and dried shiitake mushrooms.
Pour the liquid back into the saucepan and stir in the tamari (an alternative is regular soy sauce) and miso paste. Let the mixture simmer for another 5 minutes and then set it aside. By the way: Tamari is a traditional soy sauce that usually does not contain wheat in addition to fermented soybeans, so it is gluten-free. Tamari has a slightly more intense flavor, but regular soy sauce works just as well.
Pour the completely cooled vegan fish sauce into an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for at least a month.
Fish-free sauce: tips for making it
- Notice: If you don’t have shiitake mushrooms on hand, you can use nori leaves to make a vegan fish sauce. Miso paste is also not absolutely necessary for the recipe. Both ingredients change the flavor of the fishless sauce.
- Fish sauce with additional flavors: Some fishless sauce recipes use fresh garlic. For a particularly intense aroma, you can stew three halved cloves of garlic with algae and mushrooms. If you wish, you can refine the sauce with fresh chili pepper and some rice vinegar that has also been cooked. Afterwards, garlic and chili pepper must be removed, as well as mushrooms and algae.
- Quality organic ingredients: Be as careful as possible when buying ingredients organic seal. So you can ensure that the chemical-synthetic pesticides into food and the environment and supports it organic farming.
Read more at Utopia.de:
** noted ** or orange underlined Some of the links to supply sources are affiliate links: if you buy here, you are actively supporting Utopia.de, because we will then receive a small share of the revenue from the sale. More information.
Do you like this post?
Thanks for the vote!